Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Funk is Lifting

I've been in a funk for a while now but am finally starting to feel better.  I don't know if it was the trip to see my sister, the fact that my husband and I went out for the first time in a long time, or that Christmas is my favorite holiday and we've already been busy making cookies and decorating the house.  Whatever it is, I'm glad to be finally pulling out of this funk (I won't go as far as to call it a depression, it wasn't that severe).

We had a great trip to Boston, and all the cousins got along great.  We mostly hung around their house but since the weather was good the kids were outside a lot of the time playing, collecting sea glass and seashells at the beach, and playing with the dog my sister's family was dogsitting for.  We ventured into Boston twice, once to the Aquarium with everyone, and then one day by ourselves.  We met some friends in the morning at the Commons and then met my sister and her kids and another friend of ours at Faneuil Hall for lunch.  A great day and fun place to bring the kids with all the different kinds of food and the street performers outside.  We tried to get a picture of all the kids in front of the Christmas tree, but unfortunately didn't get a good shot.  Getting 6 kids to smile and look at the camera and not blink all at the same time is like catching lightning in a bottle. The travels home were pretty smooth, the kids are all asking when they can see their cousins again.  Hopefully it won't take another 5 years.

The night after we got back, we took advantage of the free babysitters (Mom & Dad) and went to see David Cook play at the House of Blues with a work contact of my husband's.  They are a fun couple who enjoy music and are members at the Foundation Room so we were in a box looking down on David.  It was a fun show and you can totally tell that he is enjoying what he's doing.  He played a good set, with a few covers, all of which I liked but some - a song by Muse in particular - didn't go over that well with the rest of the audience.  He and his band (and amazing drummer) were rocking out on stage and for a lot of the song the crowd on the floor was just standing there not sure what to do.  I guess as he gets more shows and songs under his belt he'll get better at reading his audience, and his audience will now that even though he got his start on Idol, he is definitely more rock than pop.

We're now a little over a week into the mini gifts and the kids get all excited to go down and see what's in their stockings everyday which is fun. I still have to get about 10 more things for my daughters but so far they've liked everything. I think part of what got me out of the funk is that no matter what happened the day before the three of them always wake up happy and eager to start their day. There's a lot to be said for seeing the world through the eyes of a child.

I also feel that writing all this is helping me get some of the negative stuff out of my head and helping me move on. Some stuff I write up but don't actually publish, just the writing helps. I also recently read in some home organization blog about this woman who divides her "rainy day projects" into one week tasks that she maps out far in advance and that makes them more manageable. I think I'm going to start that in the New Year, not because I'm big on New Years' resolutions but because I've finally gotten the house in order after my parents stay, my inlaws arrive next Friday and then my parents come back after Christmas, so it makes more sense to start tackling this stuff after they all are gone.  In the meantime, I'm going to start writing and prioritizing the list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all your comments, but admittedly have been a slacker about replying to all your kind words. I've recently received a bit of spam on my posts so will now be moderating any comments - and not allowing anonymous commenting. I hope that will help me stay on top of replies.