Thursday, November 1, 2012

Jack o Lanterns & Jack o Peppers

As I've mentioned one of my favorite parts of Halloween is carving pumpkins. Luckily as each year goes by the kids are willing to do more of their own.  A couple of years ago I would end up carving 3 pumpkins.  My husband would do his own, I'd end up doing the kids cause they didn't like touching the goop and weren't able to use the sharp tools.  After everyone was in bed I'd carve my own.  Not ideal but we always wanted everyone to have a pumpkin.  Anyway, here are this years jack o lanterns....

My husband's is the top one.  He does the same face every year, but I guess now that my daughter's are following my lead and going away from traditional face jack o lanterns, it's ok.  The mummy is mine.  Little Reader did the witch and carved most of it herself.  Little Hugger did all the stenciling and prep work on her cat, but I had to do the carving.  Little Man didn't do much aside from tell me how he wanted his carved, but that's ok he's only 3.

We got lots of compliments on our collection from the trick or treaters and Little Man especially liked pointing out his scary pumpkin to anyone who commented on them.


The night before Halloween I decided to make a Halloween themed dinner that I saw on Pinterest.  I wasn't sure if my kids would eat it as they're not really fans of stuffed peppers but they ate them this time.  Here are our "jack o peppers".


Here's a link to the recipe I used.  I didn't time it right to use the crockpot though, I put them in the oven at 375 for about 30 minutes and they came out perfect.  The only change we made was adding some shredded cheddar on top (I may mix it in next time)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all your comments, but admittedly have been a slacker about replying to all your kind words. I've recently received a bit of spam on my posts so will now be moderating any comments - and not allowing anonymous commenting. I hope that will help me stay on top of replies.