Saturday, February 23, 2013

Sex Ed continued

So, a while ago I had "the talk" with my Little Reader. As dinner was winding down, we somehow got on the topic of periods. I don't know how but I let Little Hugger and Little Man leave to get ready for bed and then asked my husband if he'd rather skip this too. Less than a second passed before he cleared his dishes.

We have a "how babies are made book" but it's in French. My parents were living in Switzerland when I was expecting Little Hugger and my Mom saw this book and thought it might help explain everything to Little Reader who was about 2 at the time. It's a board book with picture that are detailed enough for the toddlers but since it's in French I made up the words

Tonight being asked by an almost 9 year old about periods I figured I'd go back to the book as it has cartoon drawings of the uterus which made it easier to explain. I had told her the basics over the years but I figured this was as good a time as any to give her more info.

Once we were done talking she asked to look at the book some more so I left her room to tuck Little Hugger in. About a minute later Little Reader comes in with the book open to this picture. She said she knew one was supposed to be the sperm and the other the egg, but wasn't sure which was which.  I told her and then Little Hugger wanted to see the picture too.  So Little Reader says, "Did you know that's how babies are made?  The man has the sperm the woman has the egg, and when they meet they make a baby. But don't ask me how they get together cause it's REALLY disgusting, and you don't want to know"

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm your newest follower via the Crafty Spice Blog Hop.

    I have four children--5, 8, 12 and 17. The 17 year old knows everything (of course), the 12 year old (our only girl) cries when we talk about sex and the two little boys are not remotely interested in how babies are made.....yet. Ugh, not my favorite topic with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Bad Word Mama.. new follower here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't given "the talk" yet to my 8-year-old. I do like how Little Reader told Little Hugger about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it's never a fun topic, but I'd rather have my kids getting info from me than uninformed friends.

    I'm of the belief that if the parents initiate the conversation then the kids are more likely to come to you with questions later. So far it seems to be working, I'm hoping it will continue as the topics get tougher which I know they will.

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, but admittedly have been a slacker about replying to all your kind words. I've recently received a bit of spam on my posts so will now be moderating any comments - and not allowing anonymous commenting. I hope that will help me stay on top of replies.